Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mountain Dew

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/yellow.htm

Anyone remember this one? I was at work yesterday and somehow the topic of Mountain Dew lowering sperm count came up...obviously I know it's not true, but I distinctly remember the boys in my 5th grade class being deathly afraid of yellow number 5 dye and Mountain Dew. I decided to see what Snopes.com had to say about it and it's origins. Unfortunately it doesn't have much to say about how the rumour originated, but it has some funny variations of the story...

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

I stopped drinking Mountain Dew for about 5 months after this rumor hit our town...

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kaitlin C. said...

I've heard this, but I thought it was because Mountain Dew and other sodas like Surge had more caffeine than the average soda(pop/coke,etc.) and that caffeine has adverse effects on sperm count or virility or something like that.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Kaitlin C. said...

To back up what I commented, "On men, it has been shown that caffeine reduces rates of sperm
motility which may account for some findings of reduced fertility." (At http://www.faqs.org/faqs/caffeine-faq/ about half-way down) and also, if you check the official websites for these respective beverages, you'll see that Mountain Dew as 37g of caffeine, Mello Yello has 35, Coca Cola has 23, but Diet Coke has 31. So there could be some scientific basis for why Mountain Dew is said to reduce sperm count, but it's probably negligible, especially considering Diet Coke doesn't have all that much less.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home