Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Boston Strangler

I was stuck, sick in bed at home in Boston this weekend. On her way out one morning my mother playfully reminded me not to open the door to anyone-- not even a police man. Her paranoia springs from the experience she had while growing up, when the Boston Strangler terrorized Boston neighborhoods by dressing in different uniforms, such as a service man and then strangling women in their homes. When I was a little girl her warnings were not playful, but strict and serious. Many of my friends parents instilled the same practice in their children. Of course there is not currently a Boston Strangler, so our parents' warnings seem a little stupid, but I think this practice is an example of a certain value being passed on to future generations because it is effective. Being wary of opening the door to strangers is a Boston tradition that continues becuase people feel that it is better to be safe than sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home