Monday, June 07, 2004

Video Game Urban Legends

I'm not sure if these really counts as urban legends, and if you weren't a little grade school dork like I was you might not even know what I'm talking about, but when I was a kid and played a lot of video games, there were always countless BS rumors about various secrets that existed within the game. Typically they involved getting some female character (Mortal Kombat, Metroid) naked accomplishing certain tasks. In the case of NBA Jam, it was rumored you could unlock everyone from OJ to the Pope and put them on your basketball team. While this might not be urban legend and more the talk of kids who hadn't seen a Playboy yet, all kinds of other weird video game rumors circulated for as long as I can remember. I find it interesting that, unlike other urban legends, they have no historical basis, but tap into that same type of fascination. That plus the fact it was always a "friend of a friend" who swore up and down he saw Super Nintendo nudity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home