Thursday, June 15, 2006

A No-Hitter on Acid!

In keeping with our baseball theme, I remember some friends of mine once telling me that a Pirates pitcher in the 1970's pitched a no-hitter while on LSD. I didn't believe it at the time, but while browsing snopes, I found the story, and it turns out it is true (although I am not entirely convinced). In 1970, Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis, pitched a no-hitter (although he walked eight and hit a man), and he admitted years later that he was under the influence of LSD at the time. The story goes that on his off days he would do drugs (pot, amphetamines, acid). He woke up at around noon on one such day and immediately took a hit of acid. His girlfriend at the time, Mitzi, was looking through the news-paper and noticed something. "Dock," she said. "You are supposed to pitch today." Ellis told her that it couldn't be true--he wasn't supposed to pitch until Friday. To which Mitzi responded, "Baby, it is Friday, you slept through Thursday."

As Dock remembers the day:
"The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

If you want to explore anymore on this you can see this site, snopes, or his career stats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home