Tuesday, June 20, 2006

GW urban legends for freshmen

Seeing as a brand new class of stupid naive freshmen will soon be gracing the streets of DC, I though I would reminisce about some of the stories that I was told (and believed) when I myself was a lowly freshman. I remember someone, I think a girl on my crew team, told me to never throw out my receipts that corresponded with a GWorld purchase, or at least not in front of any upperclassmen. The reason for this was that upperclassmen were notorious, apparently, for stealing freshmen receipts and using them to somehow tap into the precious Gworld dollars. I was terrified of this and was convinced every upperclassman who looked at me was secretly plotting to steal all my Gworld money and I would brutally starve to death. I horded every single one of my Gworld receipts for a good month or so. But seeing how there is no way to steal money from a Gworld using receipts, I think my extra precautions were unnecessary and perhaps just a bit paranoid. Did anyone else have a story told to them as a freshman, to scare them into or out of doing something?

3 Comments:

Blogger Richie said...

I never heard anything about GWorld. The only thing I heard was that Mabel Thurston Hall was the 2nd most sexually active dorm in the country. I certainly did not want to live there after hearing that.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I remember being told that the reason we couldn't access the roof in thurston was because we would get shot by the secret service.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a fire at Thurston in the late 70s I think and a couple of students had to jump from the roof. Some were paralyzed. I am pretty sure this did happen, it's not an urban legend. Also Thurston's always been the social dorm at least it was in the 80s when I was there.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home