Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Five-Second Rule

I'm writing my first paper on the five-second rule which says that you have five seconds to eat food that is dropped on the floor before it becomes contaminated. A lot of people I know live by this rule even though it isn't valid. One interesting fact I found was that women are more likely than men to eat off of the floor. I was pretty surprised at this because in my experience it is the other way around. I'm still trying to figure out reasons for this and so far I haven't had much luck. Is this fact a surprise to anyone else?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

I'll be interested to see your data on this. The gender division on the subject you describe certainly does not hold true in my house: I have no problem with the "five second rule" (though I think we talk about the "three second rule" more often) but my wife certainly does!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

that is interesting. I have found more guys willing to eat food that has fallen on the ground, or at least I have no problem about it. Although, in my own family my brother is a hardcore germaphobe and would never dream of eating anything off the ground.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Whitney G. Wilson said...

I think that this fact is surprising only because of the fact that women actually admitted to eating off of the floor! I think that men are, for some reason, more apt to eat somthing dropped on the floor in front of others. However,women probably only eat the food if they know no one else is watching.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Khalil said...

Okay, are you saying that people allow themselves to eat something dropped on the floor because their exists this arbitrary "5 second rule"? No one makes this decision based on rule they have heard. It is either you think it is still worth eating, and at best it is a polite way to say to someone near you, "Wow, can you believe I'm actually going to do this"?

As far as studies are concerned I've recently heard (on some news broadcast)that children today are more prone to catch disease because all of this hand-washing and attention to cleanlinessis is not allowing the immune system to build up tolerance. 5 Second Rule has a place in disease prevention.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home