Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ahhhh! Spider eggs!

An urban legend that I heard a few times when I was in elementary school played on the common fear of spiders. The story went as follows: "One day a girl went to sleep and there was a spider on her pillow. The spider bit her on the cheek and subsequently laid eggs in the same spot. The girl wakes up the next day and sees a red bump on her cheek and just assumes it is a blemish. Two weeks later, in the middle of class, the red bump bursts open and lots of tiny spiders swarm out onto her face!"
This urban legend doesn't really seem that believable but because it involved a fear that I held, I wasn't able to discount it and throughout my younger years I made sure to check under my pillow before I went to sleep. It could be that this urban legend was just created to take advantage of a common fear and to scare little children but it could also reflect on the general fear of the loss of control that comes when we are asleep (we are powerless to defend ourselves from outside threats).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home